This document describes how to create an assignment in your Brightspace course.
- First, tap the Assignments tab in the top navbar.
- Next, tap the New Assignment button.
- As a result, the "New Assignment" page will open with the Properties tab selected by default. Within this tab, complete the following actions.
- Insert a title for the assignment using the Name field.
- Next, type detailed information telling students how to complete the assignment using the Instructions field.
- If desired, tap the Add Attachment button to insert a file that pertains to this assignment and/or the Record Audio button to include a voice recorded message. This field also will allow the attachment of a Rubric, see Attach Rubric to an Assignment.
- Choose radio option Individual Assignment or Group Assignment within the Assignment Type area.
Note: If Group Assignment is selected, the Group Category must be selected from the available drop-down options.
- Next, choose how students should submit their work by selecting an option from the Submission type drop-down.
- For File submissions, set the number of Files Allowed Per Submission and the Submissions rules. Use this submission type if your learners will be submitting any type of file such as a .doc, .docx, .pdf, .ppt.
- For Text submissions, set the Submission rules. Use this submission type if you want your learners to type a few sentences right in the assignment tool or if you want them to copy and paste a link such as a share link to a Google doc.
- For On paper submissions, set Marked as completed to one of the available options: Manually by learners, Automatically on evaluation, or Automatically on due date.
- For Observed in-person assignments, set Marked as completed to one of the available options: Manually by learners, Automatically on evaluation, or Automatically on due date. Use this submission type for assignments such as face-to-face virtual meetings, etc.
- Now, enter a Score Out Of value for your assignment.
Note: This is the total points for the assignment.
- To associate the assignment with a grade item in your grade book
- Select a Grade Item if you’ve already created one, or
- Click New Grade Item and then:
- Choose Numeric as the Item Type.
- Name the Grade Item the same as your assignment.
- You can give your Grade Item a Short Name to save space in the Grade Book if desired, but it is not required.
- Choose a Category if desired. Categories are a way to organize the grade items in your grade book.
Note: You can set your categories up in your grade book by Unit, Week, or Assignment type (Quizzes, Tests, Discussions…).
- Enter the Maximum Points. Be sure that the Maximum Points match the point value for the assignment.
- Click Save.
- To associate a rubric to the assignment, click Add Rubric, or Create Rubric in New Window.
Note: If you create a new rubric, you must set the rubric status to Published to make it visible. If a rubric is in draft mode, you will not be able to use the rubric, and your students won’t be able to see it. If you add a rubric to the assignment, you must also select the rubric under Default Scoring Rubric using the drop-down menu. If you'd like to attach an existing Rubric see step 3.c. above to use the Add Attachment button under the Attachment section.
- At this point, leave the Anonymous Marking box unchecked.
- Next, check the Annotation Tools box if it is not already checked for you.
- Finally, tap the Save button at the bottom of the page.
- Proceed by tapping the Restrictions tab.
- The Hide From Users box is checked by default. You can leave this box checked and then unhide the assignment when you are ready for learners to view it, or you can uncheck the box and make it immediately visible for users.
- Add a Due Date for your assignment if desired.
- Set a the dates the assignment will be available for your assignment if desired. Students will be able to submit an assignment after the due date unless you set an end date for the assignment in the next step.
- Set Release Conditions for your assignment if desired. Conditions require students to meet certain criteria before the assignment would be available to them.
- Click Create and Attach, or
- A dialog box opens. Use the drop-down menu to choose a condition type. Then complete the Condition Details using the drop-down menu that appears depending on the type of condition you chose.
- Add Existing
- When you’re finished, click Create.
- Click Create and Attach, or
- In the Special Access field, you can create rules for accessing the assignment by specific users. Click Add Users to Special Access to add learners and then click Save.
- Finally, tap the Save and Close button at the bottom of the page to apply your changes and return to Assignments.